Liverpool urged to make an effort to allow £8m backup to leave

Date published: Tuesday 16th July 2019 7:04

The agent of Liverpool backup goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has insisted that the Belgian is looking for more gametime elsewhere.

Mignolet has been relegated to the role of backup at Anfield after the Reds brought in Alisson Becker from Roma last summer, meaning he could be looking for a move to get his career back on track.

Jurgen Klopp recently denied this was the case, claiming that he had been informed that Mignolet would be happy to stay.

However, the 31-year-old’s agent has now told DH that Mignolet is in fact looking to leave.

“The goalkeeper game of musical chairs hasn’t started yet. It’s important for Simon to play somewhere, and our goal is still to make him leave,” explained his representative.

“He’s still got a lot to offer, and if we have an offer, we’re counting on Liverpool making an effort.”

Meanwhile, in a separate interview with Liverpool’s official website, Mignolet himself has said that he has been relishing the opportunity to play more in pre-season so far.

“As a keeper you can easily play 90 minutes when you come straight back in,” the shot-stopper said. “I only had to play 45 minutes against Tranmere. But for me, I haven’t been playing very often, it’s nice to have some minutes under my belt and to play games. That’s a good thing.”

Mignolet made just two appearances in the whole of last season, while it is believed that Liverpool want at least £8m to sanction his sale. Several clubs are said to be interested, including Watford, Crystal Palace and Norwich City.

 

Get the latest personalised Reds products on our new TEAMtalk Liverpool shop!

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM