Liverpool withdraw from race for £90m Monaco star

Date published: Friday 9th February 2018 9:25

Liverpool have reportedly cooled their interest in signing Monaco star Thomas Lemar in the summer.

According to the Liverpool Echo, the France international is ‘not on the list of targets under consideration ahead of this summer’s transfer window’.

Lemar was linked with a move to Anfield in January after being tipped as a possible replacement for Philippe Coutinho, who joined Barcelona for £142m.

Reports earlier in the week suggested that Lemar had refused to sign a new deal with Monaco, boosting Liverpool’s hopes of signing the 22-year-old.

However, the report from the Echo claims that the Reds are now looking at other targets.

Former Everton and Leeds star Olivier Dacourt believes his compatriot will eventually leave the principality and will join a major club.

Speaking about his major assets, Dacourt told bwin: “[He’s] Great! For his shooting especially.

“Since he’s from Guadeloupe, I’ve been watching him a long time. He has a lot of potential.

“Lemar is exceptional and being watched by massive clubs around Europe.

“He is in Monaco but he will go to a very big club.”

 

More from Planet Sport: Bigger isn’t better in rugby, says Johnny Nic. (Planet Rugby)

Planet Sport quiz: Test your knowledge on Rafa Nadal’s career. (Tennis365)

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM