Liverpool’s theory over £70m striker target uncovered

Date published: Wednesday 12th June 2019 9:26

Liverpool’s interest in Nicolas Pepe has been fabricated to to drive up the Lille player’s price, according to reports.

Pepe is hot property after his 22 goals helped fire Lille to second place in Ligue 1 and Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal have all been linked with the 24-year-old.

Last month speaking on the Transfer Window podcast, journalist Duncan Castles said: “From what I’ve been told, Liverpool have been in contact with Pepe’s agent to discuss a deal, his interest in coming and what is would cost to come. Lille are aware of this and are waiting for a bid.”

Since then both RMC and L’Equipe have suggested that Liverpool had put an offer of £70million on the table for the striker.

The Liverpool Echo though refute those reports and claim “no talks have been held with either Lille or Pepe’s representatives” and there has been no contact from Jurgen Klopp.

Klopp is believed to be looking at only a few summer additions to his Champions League-winning squad with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain expected to be offered an extended deal.

And the Evening Standard claim that Liverpool believe all the reports linking them with Pepe are simply efforts from his agent to inflate the price of Pepe.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM