Lucas Vazquez says that he will “always” have ties to Real Madrid, amid transfer speculation linking him with Manchester United and Chelsea.
The 29-year-old has forged a key role under Los Blancos manager Zinedine Zidane this season. He has played 33 games in all competitions, chipping in with two goals and seven assists. However, after entering the final six months of his contract, links with a move away have surfaced.
Madrid have offered him a new contract, but it features a 10 per cent pay cut amid the cost of the coronavirus pandemic on Los Blancos.
As such, Vazquez reportedly feels disappointed that his employers are not fully rewarding his hard work this season.
Alongside that, though, United, Chelsea, Tottenham, Everton and Leeds have all reportedly shown interest in recent times.
Speaking to reporters after the 3-1 Champions League quarter-final first leg win over the Reds, Vazquez faced questions over his future.
While he insisted that he will always have ties to Madrid, he did not make clear whether those would be as a player or a fan.
“What I concentrate on is the present,” the Spaniard said (via Goal).
“I’m really enjoying myself this season because I’m playing and that’s what makes me happy.
“A contract extension? I was and will always be a Real Madrid man.”
United have supposedly put forward a better proposal for Vazquez than Madrid. However, Bayern Munich reportedly have the most tempting offer on the table so far.
Furthermore, more recent reports suggest that Vazquez aimed to impress in Tuesday’s win over Liverpool in order to persuade Chelsea to step up interest.
Vazquez sparks Liverpool controversy
Vazquez, who was playing as a right-back, sparked controversy against Liverpool after clashing with Sadio Mane.
The challenge, which potentially stopped Mane having a chance at scoring, did not receive any action. Twenty-seven seconds later, Madrid had gone up the other end and scored.
Liverpool left-back Andy Robertson admitted, though, that his team were well-beaten.