UEFA boss ‘welcomes back’ Man City after Super League U-turn

Etihad Stadium TEAMtalk

Manchester City have confirmed their intention to pull out of the proposed European Super League, news which has delighted UEFA. 

City issued a short statement on Tuesday evening. It read: “Manchester City Football Club can confirm that it has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League.”

Shortly after City announced their intention, forward Raheem Sterling tweeted: “OK bye” along with a wave emoji.

UEFA president Ceferin welcomed the news that City had begun the process to withdraw from the controversial league.

“I am delighted to welcome City back to the European football family,” the Slovenian said.


GET ALL YOUR MANCHESTER CITY MERCHANDISE HERE – DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE


“They have shown great intelligence in listening to the many voices – most notably their fans – that have spelled out the vital benefits that the current system has for the whole of European football; from the world-beating Champions League final right down to a young player’s first coaching session at a grassroots club.

“As I said at the UEFA Congress, it takes courage to admit a mistake but I have never doubted that they had the ability and common sense to make that decision.

“City are a real asset for the game and I am delighted to be working with them for a better future for the European game.”

On a day of rapid developments that left the Super League concept in danger of collapsing just two days after it had been announced, Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward also resigned.

Chelsea have also confirmed that they are in the process of pulling out of the competition.

That leaves United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham as the only English teams remaining in the newly formed league.