Man City well ahead of Liverpool in race for pivotal €60m centre-back deal

Date published: Wednesday 29th July 2020 1:38

Diego Carlos TEAMtalk

Manchester City have “appeared” in the race to sign reported Liverpool target Diego Carlos, claims a report.

Both clubs are looking for a centre-back, with doubts surrounding the long-term future of City’s John Stones and the exit of Liverpool’s Dejan Lovren.

Lovren sealed a £10.9m move to Zenit St Petersburg this week, leaving Jurgen Klopp with three senior centre-backs – Joel Matip, Joe Gomez and Virgil van Dijk.

Meanwhile, Stones’ contract runs out in 2020 at The Etihad and there has been no movement on a new deal.

The Liverpool coach refuses to publicly talk about transfers, but he is thought to be looking to replace the Croatian this summer.

A number of names have been thrown into the fray including Napoli kingpin Kalidou Koulibaly, Schalke’s Ozan Kabak and Sevilla star Carlos.

Spanish news outlet El Desmarque reported Liverpool’s interest in Carlos in January.

Marca also reported that Sevilla were “looking forward” to making significant capital gain on Carlos this summer.

Since then Goal claimed Sevilla have received two significant bids from English clubs. The first offer arrived a month ago, with the second coming in the last few weeks.

 

 

However, they also claimed Sevilla have insisted that they will not discuss the future of  Carlos until the end of their Europa League campaign.

Now AS via Sport Witness say City have “appeared” as a suitor for the Brazilian, who has a €75m release clause in his contract.

Sevilla apparently “do not want less than €60m” for the player.

AS state City will have “enough money” at their disposal to complete a deal and are therefore better positioned than Liverpool.

The Reds of course pulled out of the £50m transfer of Timo Werner because of the financial impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Klopp earlier this month spoke about investment this summer: “It’s not that we don’t want to, we try to make the right decisions constantly and then COVID came. The situation changed and not for the better.”

Carlos has emerged as one of the top centre-backs in Europe in his debut season with Sevilla, in which he only missed three LaLiga games.

The Brazilian, who cost just cost £13.5m, has played 90 minutes in 34 of his 35 games.

Klopp needs Lovren replacement

Jurgen Klopp, Dejan Lovren

Former Spurs keeper Paul Robinson says Klopp must sign a replacement if he wants his side to compete on all fronts next season.

“Lovren is very inconsistent and he has mistakes in him,” he told Football Insider.

“I do not think it was a tough decision to let him go.

“It will be a position that Liverpool strengthen in. They have van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Matip, who played extremely well this season prior to injury – they carry three top centre-halves.

“They will not just let Lovren go without signing a replacement. They will move to replace him because they will want to compete on all fronts this year. It was a move that worked for both parties.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM