Late blitz sees Man City outdo Everton to reach FA Cup semi-finals

Manchester City left it late to claim a 2-0 win over Everton courtesy of goals from Ilkay Gundogan and Kevin De Bruyne, booking their place in the FA Cup semi-finals as a result.

Many feel City are capable of winning the quadruple this season and they took another step towards one piece of that puzzle by advancing in the FA Cup. However, it was a competitive tie until two goals in the last 10 minutes.

City began the game with a high intensity, putting a lot of pressure on Everton without really testing goalkeeper Joao Virginia – standing in for Jordan Pickford and Robin Olsen.

Instead, Everton had the first decent chance at goal, when Richarlison tried his luck with an overhead kick. However, it went over the bar.

Chances for both sides came via free kicks, but Lucas Digne opted to cross for Everton – with the chance leading to nothing – and Raheem Sterling skied his effort for City.

Later in the half, Dominic Calvert-Lewin almost capitalised when Zack Steffen came rushing out of his goal. But the situation developed too quickly for the Everton striker to get it under his control.

A set piece created more danger for Everton towards the end of the half. Oleksandr Zinchenko had to clear the ball off the line after a header from Yerry Mina following a corner.

However, City went in at the break in more control of the tie, having dominated possession.

They had clearer sights of goal in the second half. As the game approached the hour-mark, Sterling forced a smart save from Virginia after a give-and-go with Fernandinho.

A few minutes later, Phil Foden tried his luck from outside the box, but his shot sailed off target.

Gundogan, De Bruyne win it for City

City’s pressure finally paid off in the final 10 minutes, just as it seemed extra time was in store.

Aymeric Laporte carried the ball forward from the back, before Virginia pushed his shot onto the bar. However, it simply rebounded into the path of Gundogan, who produced a diving header into the gaping net.

Everton had held firm but City had finally found a way through. The goal came at a crucial time, too, ensuring there was little chance of the hosts levelling things up.

They delivered the hammer blow to Everton a few minutes later, when De Bruyne latched onto a through ball and blasted the ball past Virginia.

It was enough for City to book their place in the semi-finals, while Everton’s hopes of a trophy will have to wait for another year at least.