Man named after arrest for alleged racist abuse in Manchester derby

Date published: Sunday 8th December 2019 2:20

A 41-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the allegations of racist abuse by a Manchester City supporter during Saturday’s derby at the Etihad Stadium.

The man has been named in reports as Anthony Burke, who, according to his since-removed Facebook page, works for the construction company Kier Group.

Having tweeted on Saturday evening to say they were aware of a video circulating on social media appearing to show a fan aiming monkey chants towards Manchester United players during the Red Devils’ 2-1 victory, Kier announced on Sunday that an employee has been suspended.

The message on Twitter read: “Kier has a zero tolerance policy towards any racist and discriminatory behaviour. We can confirm an employee has been suspended pending an investigation.”

City swiftly issued a statement after the match saying the club was working with Greater Manchester Police, who announced on Sunday morning that the man had been arrested on suspicion of a racially-aggravated public order offence.

A GMP statement read: “A man has been arrested after a video posted on social media showed a supporter making racist gestures at the Manchester City v Manchester United match at the Etihad Stadium yesterday.

“At around 6.55pm on Saturday, December 7, 2019 police were called to a report of a supporter making alleged racist gestures and sounds towards players during the Manchester City and Manchester United derby.

“A 41-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order and remains in custody for questioning.”

Superintendent Chris Hill of the City of Manchester Division said the force was taking the matter “extremely seriously”.

 

“I would like to thank the public for their ongoing support with this incident,” he said.

“Racism of any kind has no place in football or our society and I hope this arrest shows that we are taking this matter extremely seriously.

“We will continue to work with Manchester City and Manchester United Football Clubs on this incident and will investigate any other lines of enquiries.”

The Football Association will also investigate and is planning to talk to the clubs, referee Anthony Taylor, the police and other relevant parties.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM