Man Utd denied chance to go top as Everton complete stunning fightback

Dominic Calvert-Lewin scored a stoppage-time equaliser as Everton completed a successful comeback to draw 3-3 with Manchester United.

United went into the game with confidence running high after their 9-0 thrashing of Southampton in midweek.

They had to work harder in this game, but looked on course to get the three points that would have moved them level with Man City at the top of the table.

Their work was undone by Calvert-Lewin with virtually the last kick of the game, though.

Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…

United began having some joy down the right-hand side in the opening encounters, with Mason Greenwood weaving in and out before firing a shot across goal.

A few minutes later, a similar pathway led to the opening goal. This time it was Marcus Rashford on the right, who whipped in a cross for Edinson Cavani at the far post.

Cavani applied the finishing touch to give United the lead after 24 minutes.

There was a blow for United before half-time, when Paul Pogba went down with injury. The midfielder has been in resurgent form recently, but had to go off.

United were given a wake-up call shortly after, when Victor Lindelof failed to clear the ball and lost possession to Richarlison. However, the angle was too tight for the Everton forward to get a shot on target.

However, the hosts were able to double their lead just before the break.

Once again, the move came down the right. Bruno Fernandes took a touch to set himself up from the edge of the box, before nonchalantly lobbing it over the Everton defence and goalkeeper Robin Olsen.

There was still time for Everton to try and hit back. But Calvert-Lewin pulled a shot wide when running one-on-one with David De Gea.

Everton stun United

However, Everton did get back in the game shortly after the interval.

Calvert-Lewin sent the ball across the face of goal, but De Gea could only parry it into the path of Abdoulaye Doucoure. The midfielder was left with a tap-in to halve the deficit.

United were then stunned further as Everton equalised in the 52nd minute. Doucoure turned provider this time, picking out James Rodriguez just inside the box.

The Colombian cleverly controlled the ball before firing home into the bottom corner with his left foot.

With their lead cancelled out, United now had to work to get back in front. They went fairly close when Rashford was slid in, but Olsen got his body in the way.

Questions were asked of the goalkeeper when United regained the lead in the 70th minute, though. Scott McTominay headed the ball towards goal, and Olsen was unable to keep it out this time.

Everton kept pushing for another equaliser, with Lucas Digne clipping the outside of the post and Richarlison firing a shot wide.

But their persistence paid off as Calvert-Lewin prodded home an equaliser deep into stoppage time after a free kick fell to him and he got there before De Gea.

The draw leaves United two points behind City, while Everton go above Chelsea into sixth.