Man Utd agree terms with January target and plot arrival of playmaker

Date published: Wednesday 6th November 2019 11:03

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer TEAMtalk

Manchester United have reportedly agreed terms with an unnamed target as they make plans to add to their squad in January.

Metro report that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men are confident of adding at least new face to their squad in the next window and although the player’s identity has not been mentioned, it’s widely expected that a striker is their priority.

Mario Mandzukic, who has not played for Juventus under Maurizio Sarri, was a target for United in the summer, but a deal for the 33-year-old never materialised. However, with Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez both leaving for Inter Milan, United’s forward line has been left threadbare and their need is greater than ever.

United have managed a measly 13 goals in 11 league games this season and Solskjaer has made it clear that a forward is his priority, and per the source, an agreement is in place.

And Solskjaer told Sky Sports last month that he is open to making experienced signings – meaning Mandzukic could be the perfect fit.

 

 

“January is a difficult window, anyway,” said Solskjaer. “But if there are players available and at the right price, I’m sure we will spend.

“There might be some experienced players who can come in and help the younger players – that might be worth the money.”

Lyon’s Moussa Dembele is also believed to be a forward target for Solskjaer but the former Celtic man will be a difficult striker to get their hands on mid-season, despite Ed Woodward reportedly handing the £73million United received for Lukaku to Solskjaer to spend in January.

One other potential arrival could be Tottenham’s Christian Eriksen as United look to add some guile to their midfield.

United were interested in Eriksen in the summer, but the Dane is believed to have turned down a move to Old Trafford.

He is out of contract at the end of the season and is free to sign a pre-contract agreement with overseas clubs in January and he has admitted that the current situation is “definitely my hardest time right now at Tottenham”.

The report claims United are willing to put up a fee for Eriksen in January in a bid to convince Spurs to part with the 27-year-old rather than lose him to the free market in the summer.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM