Man Utd new boy vows to keep ‘offensive’ style of play in Premier League

Date published: Monday 14th December 2020 1:53 - Samuel Bannister

Alex Telles

Alex Telles has explained how his style of play has not changed much since his arrival at Manchester United.

Telles joined United late in the summer transfer window, adding more competition for the left-back role. However, the former Porto star has had to be patient for opportunities so far.

For example, he had an enforced break after a positive test for Covid-19. It meant he had to wait until November for his first Premier League appearance.

He now has three of those under his belt – as well as four starts in their ill-fated Champions League group campaign – and will be looking to kick on in the weeks ahead. The challenging thing will be adapting to a new league, though.

Telles had never played in England before his move to Man Utd. Now, he is coming to terms with the differences between English and Portuguese football.

However, the Brazilian says he was already well prepared for those adaptations, and vowed to continue being his attacking self down the flanks.

“I already knew that [football in England] would be more physical, more intense, but I am preparing for that,” he told Sport TV (via Sport Witness).

“I do my personal work – I believe that I am not changing my way of playing, which is quite offensive.

 

“But I am also focused on the defensive part; it is not very different from what I did before.

“I already had a very high demand with Sérgio Conceição. Now I am working to evolve more and more.”

Telles signed a contract until 2024, with the option for a further year, when he joined United.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Concerns about Man Utd at the back

Telles will be hoping to prove he can be reliable at the back for a United side who are looking to improve in that department.

They kept a clean sheet against Manchester City in their last game, but before that, have looked unconvincing in defence.

Telles did not play against City, instead remaining an unused substitute. One pundit, though, felt those who played in his place did not prove themselves.

“We talk about trust in football, the back four and the goalkeeper are for me still the biggest problems,” ex-United midfielder Roy Keane said during Sky Sports‘ coverage of the derby.

“Okay, they did well today but that’s not a back-four that will take you places and that’s a big concern.”

Read more…

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM