Man Utd away streak ended as Vardy strikes late for Leicester to earn point

Rob McCarthy
Jamie Vardy TEAMtalk

Jamie Vardy scored a late leveller for Leicester to end Manchester United’s winning away streak in an entertaining 2-2 draw at the King Power on Boxing Day.

Marcus Rashford gave the visitors the lead, having missed an earlier sitter, before Harvey Barnes pulled the Foxes level.

Bruno Fernandes looked like he might have grabbed a winner for the Red Devils in the 79th minute before Vardy popped up to earn a point for Brendan Rodgers’ men.

Eric Bailly replaced Aaron Wan-Bissaka in United’s only change for their trip to the King Power.

The defender made his first league appearance since October’s 6-1 defeat to Tottenham after recovering from injury.

Leicester were unchanged from their 2-0 win at Spurs, while Caglar Soyuncu failed to recover from his groin problem in time to feature.

Rashford opened the scoring for United after 23 minutes in a bright and breezy start to the game.

The striker guided the ball into the bottom corner after Fernandes poked Daniel James’ cross on.

Rashford made up for an awful miss after just two minutes when he planted a free header over from six yards.

But the impressive Barnes levelled for Leicester after 31 minutes when he rifled in from the edge of the area.

The home side started the second period on the front foot, with James Maddison seeing a goalbound free-kick deflected over the bar.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reacted to Leicester’s early dominance by hauling off James just nine minutes after the restart, with Paul Pogba introduced.

It took until the hour mark for United to spark back into life again when Rashford was played in, but his fierce drive across Schmeichel was brilliantly kept out by the strong right hand of the Foxes stopper.

Moments later Martial raced through and slotted home before being flagged offside – a decision confirmed by VAR.

United introduced Edinson Cavani from the bench and the striker made an almost immediate impact when he played a major part in the Red Devils taking the lead with 11 minutes to go.

The Uruguay hitman slid in a clever through ball for Fernandes and the Portguese made no mistake as he pulled his shot across Schmeichel and into the far corner.

The lead lasted five minutes, however, as Ayoze Perez’s drilled cross was met by Vardy to sweep home via a slight deflection off Axel Tuanzebe.

A draw was probably a fair result in the end, but one that will have pleased Premier League leaders Liverpool – who can pull further clear if they beat West Brom on Sunday.