Man Utd to let two attackers leave on loan as six more put up for sale

Date published: Saturday 11th July 2020 11:55

Tahith Chong

Manchester United will let up to eight players depart this summer as the club looks to streamline their squad, claims a report.

The Red Devils are on a hot run of form, having gone 16 matches unbeaten. They are through to the FA Cup semi-finals and also look a good bet for Europa League glory.

Paul Pogba also looks set to stay and insists their current run of form is the minimum the club should be achieving.

Pundit Robbie Savage also feels United will be the team to beat next season and thinks they could sign a £350m trio this summer.

Of those, Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho remains their top target. The England winger would set United back around £100m with the Bundesliga side taking a hardline approach.

But Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is adamant that signing Sancho is key to helping United take the next step.

But it’s claimed his arrival at Old Trafford will see two other stars given the green light to leave on a temporary basis.

As per the Daily Express, United will allow wingers Daniel James and Tahith Chong to depart of loan. James has failed to build on his promising start at Old Trafford after a £15m switch from Swansea last summer. His place in the starting XI has been taken by Mason Greenwood – and with good reason. The teenager earned a glowing appraisal from Gary Neville on Thursday night.

It’s claimed the signing of Sancho will push James further down the pecking order and a loan exit would make plenty of sense.

The paper also reports the same of Chong, despite the Dutchman only recently signing a new two-year deal.

Chong had been linked with Juventus and Inter Milan prior to penning an extension. But they could yet land him in a temporary deal with United keen to assess his progress.

 

 

Chong broke through with Greenwood but his progress has stalled after failing to play regular minutes.

Speaking to MUTV (via the Daily Mirror), the 20-year-old still hopes to have a long-term future at Old Trafford.

He said: “I’m at a club where, if you work hard, you get your opportunities.

“It’s all about taking those opportunities as well. I think we’ve got a manager who believes in young players. It’s an exciting time at the moment.

“I speak to the manager and everyone around the club to look to what is best for you to do. I think the club is coming in with a brilliant plan and it is just exciting to see what’s going to happen next year.”

 

READ MORE: Solskjaer told to replace Anthony Martial with ‘world-class striker’

 

Six more put up for sale

United, however, will not stop there. As per The Athletic, executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward wants Solskjaer to clear the deadwood from his squad.

As such, Alexis Sanchez, Marcos Rojo, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Jesse Lingard and Diogo Dalot could all leave Old Trafford.

Sanchez and Smalling look destined to make permanent moves to Italy after loan moves this season.

Tahith Chong, Chris Smalling, Alexis Sanchez

It’s reported that Inter are looking to pursue a ‘cut-price deal’ which would see Sanchez join permanently for €20m (£18m).

Smalling, meanwhile, would move for a similar fee after joining Roma on an initial loan.

He’s impressed in Italy and has made it clear he wants to make the move permanent.

He could be joined out the door by fellow defenders Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo and Diogo Dalot.

Rojo, who made only nine appearances for United before the turn of the year, moved back to Argentina in January. A permanent move to Estudiantes now looks likely if a fee can be agreed.

Dalot, meanwhile, has failed to impress since a £20m move from Porto and is a long way down Solskjaer’s thinking. His sale may well prove in the best interests of all parties.

Lingard is also way down in Solskjaer’s plans. The homegrown star has been linked with Arsenal and Everton. However, three surprise suitors emerged for him earlier this week.

The departures of some, if not all, of these players would give United the funds to reinvest in their squad and build what they hope will be a push for Premier League and Champions League glory next season.

It’s claimed Woodward is ready to tell Solskjaer he will need to trim his squad if he is to secure his top targets this summer.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM