Man Utd brutally end Man City winning run as Solskjaer’s side finally come good on big stage

Date published: Sunday 7th March 2021 6:23 - Samuel Bannister

Manchester United struck early in both halves to earn a 2-0 win over Manchester City that ended their rivals’ 21-game winning run.

United have been City’s closest challengers this season, but a failure to perform in the bigger games has seen them fall behind their rivals in the title race.

A win over them may not be enough to restore that title challenge, but it is definitely a moment to savour for United – who were well worth the three points.

The game got off to a lively start, with Gabriel Jesus giving a penalty away within the opening minute.

The City forward clipped United counterpart Anthony Martial in the box, with referee Anthony Taylor awarding a penalty.

Bruno Fernandes converted from 12 yards – despite Ederson diving the right way – to give United an early foothold in the game.

Moments later, Luke Shaw had a chance to double the lead from close range, but Ederson saved. City were much further on the backfoot than they would have expected.

The hosts began to get their foot on the ball a bit more, but Ederson still had to stay alert, diving to save a shot from Marcus Rashford.

City had appeals for a penalty of their own when Raheem Sterling went down in the box, but Taylor waved them away.

Ilkay Gundogan had a couple of chances for City as they upped the ante, but Dean Henderson held firmly onto one of his efforts.

Henderson, deputising for David De Gea, also made his presence known by tipping over a Kevin De Bruyne free kick.

Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Another quick start in second half

Just like the first half, the second half started with intent from one side – with City this time going close to an early goal. However, Rodri’s effort struck the woodwork.

Instead, it was United who once again struck first. Shaw drove forward before playing a one-two with Marcus Rashford on his left and curling it into the bottom corner.

City now had to become even more expansive and tried to keep Henderson busy. But United remained in control.

There was a huge chance for Anthony Martial midway through the half. However, Ederson saved his side-footed finish from a one-on-one situation.

At the other end, Phil Foden – freshly on as a substitute – fired wide from close range.

There was then a big chance for Sterling, who failed to connect with an inviting Kyle Walker cross.

It summed up City’s game, as they created plenty but failed to truly test Henderson. United saw out the win to close the gap at the top to 11 points with 10 games left.

Related Articles