Everton will begin talks with forward Dominic Calvert-Lewin over a new contract following links to Manchester United.
However, suggestions that a new deal for the 22-year-old, who has scored three goals in Carlo Ancelotti’s first two games, is imminent are premature at this stage, according to Sky Sports.
Everton want to reward the player, who is halfway through a five-year deal he signed in May 2017, with a new long-term contract and talks are expected to begin in the new year.
Reports overnight suggested the Sheffield United academy graduate had emerged as a transfer target for United in January, with the Red Devils said to be ready to offer £50million for the player.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer remains interested in bringing in a new central attacker in the New Year after United missed out to Borussia Dortmund in their bid to sign Norwegian frontman Erling Haaland.
Meanwhile, Carlo Ancelotti has given a coy response to claims he could look to bolster Everton’s squad in the January window – and has explained why he’s happy to pose for photos and meet as many supporters as possible.
The Toffees remain unbeaten since the Italian took charge earlier this month, with a draw against Arsenal followed up by wins over Burnley and at Newcastle.
Everton have been strongly linked with a move for classy Real Madrid playmaker James Rodriguez in the winter window, but Ancelotti, who will talk to the club about the transfer window next week, insists he is happy with the current squad.
“The market is not open yet,” the Everton boss said. “It will open tomorrow. There are a lot of rumours and speculation but that is normal, it happens everywhere in the world.
“I said after January 5 we will have a meeting with the club to see if we can improve the squad.” Read more…