Manchester United have put an offer on the table for Everton and England striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin, according to a report.
The 24-year-old has impressed for Everton this season with 19 goals in 33 games this season. He has been previously mentioned as a target for United, but now they have made their move. After tying down Eric Bailly to a new deal, United are now understood to be prioritising a forward. According to the Daily Telegraph, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskajer will now “have a clear run at trying to sign Erling Haaland and the best forwards in Europe”.
Haaland though will be a difficult deal to get over the line with several big clubs interested. His agent Mino Raiola also does not have a great relationship with the club.
Stretty News though report “a recent offer was made to Everton” for Calvert-Lewin. It’s unclear the outcome of the bid, but it’s understood Everton value the England international in excess of £80m.
He’s a player with huge potential. And one that would fit in with what football director John Murtough recently told a fans’ forum.
Murtough (via Manchester Evening News) said: “The recruitment department need to focus on bringing in players for tomorrow. Those who have potential and for today, those who are ready to play for the first team now.
“The scouting team work closely with Ole to produce options for consideration based on the type of profile which Ole feels that the team needs. Ole has a veto, because as a club we will not sign a player that a manager doesn’t want.
“The club has always backed its manager in the transfer market. It’s evident from what’s gone on over the last two or three seasons that there has been a structured and disciplined approach to player recruitment.
“The transfer market will be challenging in the next 12 months. But when the right players are available, which fit our profile, for the right values, will be in and around those opportunities as and when they arise.”
Rice enquiry about United
The Manchester Evening News reported last month that Declan Rice had spoken to Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw about United whilst on England duty.
The minutes from the fans’ forum, which John Murtough and technical director Darren Fletcher dialled into, on April 16 have now corroborated that.
The speakers, listed as ‘JM&DF’ said: “Darren noted that they had heard that from players going away with England [and] other national teams that people have started to ask questions about Manchester United again.”
Whether or not Calvert-Lewin was one of those players remains to be seen. Rice though has long since been linked with a move to Old Trafford.
Meanwhile, United have added to their scouting network. Goal report the club have “brought in two scouts to focus on the capital in the hope that they can continue to bring the best young talent to the club”.