Man Utd miss another wing option as Wolves hold talks with Jota replacement

Date published: Wednesday 23rd September 2020 7:20

Wolves look poised to beat Manchester United to the signing of Douglas Costa with the winger’s agent reportedly looking to steer his client to Molineux.

After a promising first full campaign as Old Trafford manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will have hoped for a pain-free summer on the transfer front.

But with just 12 days left before the window shuts, United so far just have Donny van de Beek to show for their efforts.

The lack of new arrivals has prompted Luke Shaw to send a strong message to Ed Woodward.

While Jadon Sancho remains the club’s No 1 target, a report on Sunday claimed those hopes were more faint than ever. That’s amid claims Borussia Dortmund are ready to raise the winger’s asking price.

With those hopes fading, United are said to be considering a number of alternatives.

As such, United were on Monday reported to have agreed a deal to sign Ismaila Sarr.

The guessing games continued when reports then claimed Ousmane Dembele was their target.

Another winger who has been consistently linked with United is Juventus star Costa.

 

The Brazilian has been told he is free to leave Turin this summer and does not feature in Andrea Pirlo’s plans.

However, United’s prospects of bringing him to Old Trafford have taken a nosedive. That’s after reports in Italy claimed his agent Jorge Mendes was in talks with Nuno Espirito Santo’s side.

As per Italian outlet Tuttosport, Mendes is in advanced talks with Wolves over a move to Molineux for his client.

Wolves have a space in their attack to fill with Diogo Jota having been sold to Liverpool at the weekend.

The fee is reported to be in the region of £25m and in the Brazilian, Wolves will be signing a player with solid credentials.

 

United to make final Sancho bid

Missing out on Costa will come as a blow to United, who are fast seeing their wing options narrow all the time.

Sancho.Dortmund.TEAMtalk-1

Sky Sports transfer expert Dharmesh Sheth says United will make one final push for Sancho before the window shuts.

Sheth said: “United may yet go in for Sancho in the final 13 days of this transfer window. They’ll then hope – as we’ve been reporting – that Sancho agitates for a transfer.

“The issue associated with that is that Dortmund would need to bring in a replacement. That takes time as they may have been planning the forthcoming season with Sancho.

“United have seen their rivals go out and do their business. As a result, any player that they go in for now, the selling club will think ‘we can smell desperation… Perhaps we can increase the price’.

“We’ve spoken about the ‘United Tax’ before when it comes to transfers. That will only be reinforced the later we go in this window.”

 

READ MORE: Man Utd star given ultimate Solskjaer snub as latest offer falls well short

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM