Solskjaer orders Man Utd to revisit exciting Italian watched by Mourinho

Date published: Friday 29th May 2020 9:20

Manchester United have reignited their interest in Monaco youngster Pietro Pellegri, who was a target for former Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho, according to reports.

Pellegri, 19, has already made exciting strides having become the youngest player to score in Serie A, for Genoa, and the second-youngest in Ligue 1 behind Kylian Mbappe.

The Italian moved to the French top flight in January 2018 and made three appearances for Monaco in the 2017/18 campaign, but his game time since then has been severely restricted due to injury.

According to Gianluca di Marzio, United have been tracking Pellegri since 2016, when Mourinho was at the Old Trafford helm.

The journalist adds that the Red Devils intend to go back in for the centre-forward but could face a stern response from Monaco, who want to make the player a regular starter next season.

Monaco are planning on making “numerous changes” at the club next season – including appointing a new sporting director – and they want Pellegri’s game time to increase alongside the off-field alterations.

United, though, are said to have a “very good” relationship with Monaco, having signed Anthony Martial from the French club in 2015.

Pellegri became the youngest player to score in Serie A with his goal against Roma at the Stadio Olimpico in May 2017.

He then became the second-youngest player to score in Ligue 1 against Bordeaux in August 2018, marking another milestone in his early career.

In other news, United have reportedly been told that Odion Ighalo can sign an extension to his loan deal at Old Trafford on the condition that he signs a new contract in China.

Read more…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM