Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez – who has been linked with Manchester United – says he will make an announcement about his “new club” on Wednesday.
The Spain international, who has risen through the ranks at Atletico, signed a mammoth nine-year contract with the capital club in 2017.
Saul has become one of the first names on Diego Simeone’s team sheet and the manager made the 25-year-old one of his four captains for the current season.
However, United have been heavily linked with a swoop for the midfielder in recent weeks and one report claimed that talks between the Red Devils and Atletico over a deal were “practically closed”.
Indeed, it has also been claimed that Saul – who has a €150million release clause in his contract – could be available for half that price.
Taking to Twitter on Sunday, Saul announced: “I wanted to communicate something important to you”, adding “New club: I announce it. Three days”.
Saul has made 37 appearances this season, chipping in with four goals along the way.
Atletico are through to the Champions League quarter-finals after beating Liverpool at Anfield in their last match before football’s enforced break, with Saul scoring in the first leg of the tie.
Former United midfielder Paul Ince has previously given his verdict on Saul, insisting that he would be a ready-made fit for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side.
“I’ve watched Niguez for the last two or three years and I really like him. He’s got a lovely build and can score some special goals. There’s a culture about him and he’s still young with plenty of potential,” Ince said.
“The thing is, he won’t be cheap – that’s for sure. And, if you look to get him in, you have to think about what happens to Paul Pogba.
“There’s also talk about Felix, but he struggled in Spain – and there’s still a ferocity to the Premier League. You’ve got to think about if they can come in and play straight away.”
In other news, United are reportedly in a battle with Real Madrid for the signing of Sevilla winger Lucas Ocampos.