Solskjaer’s summer transfer plans have ‘changed’ at Manchester United

Date published: Monday 22nd March 2021 9:40 - Matthew Briggs

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer TEAMtalk

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s search for a new centre-back has been put on a backburner due to Victor Lindelof’s form, according to a report.

Manchester United were understood to be targeting a new defender and a striker in the summer transfer window.

Last month the Daily Star claimed United had nailed down their two priorities – Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland and Sevilla defender Jules Kounde.

Real Madrid star Raphael Varane, Braga’s David Carmo and Kounde are believed to be on United’s radar. However, Lindelof’s impressive form of late has provided Solskjaer with some food for thought.

According to Goal, the situation has now changed”. Lindelof was impressive in keeping AC Milan at bay last midweek, while Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw and Aaron Wan-Bissaka looked a cohesive unit.

“Victor and Harry, they’ve got a good understanding with each other and have really built on last season,” Solskjaer said last week

“Then again, we have other centre-backs here who come on and play well when they have the chance.”

United have looked stronger defensively as the season has gone on with Solskjaer admitting his side have been working hard on their defending.

 

 

It seems the problems that plagued the defence earlier in the campaign have, for now at least, been ironed out.

“That is down to a lot of good work on the training ground,” Solskjaer said. “Of course, we’ve been drilling the back four but it’s a team effort. And the coaches have really, really worked on details that we’re improving on every game.”

The source claim that such has been United’s improvement, which has produced 10 clean sheets in the last 15 games, that Solskjaer’s plans have evolved.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Solskjaer points to changes for Leicester defeat

Goal claim Solskjaer has been “downplaying any speculation over the club looking at a centre-half”. Instead now “the focus for the upcoming transfer window has now turned to the misfiring forward line”.

Solskjaer did switch Alex Telles into his back four on Sunday, alongside Maguire, Lindelof and Wan-Bissaka. And the result was not a pretty one as United were humbled 3-1 by Leicester in the FA Cup.

The Norwegian boss though was not unhappy with his defensive line, instead he put the defeat down to the changes he made. Fred’s mistake handed Leicester their opener, before Youri Tielemans danced through United’s midfield to make it 2-1. Then late on Scott McTominay was caught sleeping at the back post as Kelechi Iheanacho scored his second of the game.

Lindelof has played the entire 90 minutes in eight of his side’s last nine league matches. His extended run in the side has also seen him play in the victory in Milan and the FA Cup defeat.

READ MORE: Haaland sets course for summer transfer but Man Utd, Chelsea lag behind

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM