Man Utd target agrees new Everton contract as Silva fights for own future

Date published: Friday 29th November 2019 2:27 - Samuel Bannister

Reported Manchester United target Richarlison has pledged his future to Everton by signing a new contract until 2024, it has been confirmed.

The 22-year-old joined the Toffees from Watford during July 2018 in a deal understood to be worth around £40million.

Richarlison has scored five goals for Everton this season, as the Goodison Park club fight to climb the Premier League table.

He had been named as part of a five-man striker shortlist for Man Utd, but has now committed to Everton.

Director of football Marcel Brands said on Everton TV: “We have to look positive ahead, and I try to do that always.

“One of the positive things during a week like this which happened is we are now busy with the last details of extending the contract with one of our key players Richarlison until 2024.

“That is something positive, especially for the long-term of course.”

Toffees boss Marco Silva found his position again under scrutiny following last weekend’s 2-0 home defeat by struggling Norwich.

 

Brands, though, maintains everyone at the club must put on a united front.

“As a board, we have got to support that. Of course, we know in sport, as always, you have to perform – that’s me, the manager, the players, for everyone,” he said to Everton TV.

“It’s also important, especially in this club, after a couple of years of instability, to stick together in this situation.

“I think it is important that everyone has the feeling that we can turn this around to better results.

“Most people know that I always go to the dressing room after the game, to see how the atmosphere is.

“Of course, everyone was disappointed last Saturday but you saw also really in the eyes of the players the fire that they want to resolve this, to turn this around – together with the whole staff.

“That’s important coming up towards the next couple of games. They will be tough games but games where we can improve.”

At a defiant press conference, Silva insisted he was not worried about the speculation, saying: “I don’t lose time thinking about that.

“I don’t waste my focus thinking about this situation. My focus is always on my players and what I can control and the next match.

“I didn’t read (anything). Of course I had more or less the feedback but not everything. I try to put all my energy into things that can help me and my players to perform and to improve what we should improve.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM