Man Utd make statement and ready to check on Alex Telles’ condition

Date published: Monday 16th November 2020 3:40

Alex Telles

Manchester United are checking on Alex Telles’ well-being and availability after reports emerged that the left-back had again tested positive for Covid-19.

The deadline-day acquisition from Porto was thrust into the starting line-up as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men won their Champions League opener at Paris St Germain.

That match on October 20 remains his only United appearance to date due to a positive coronavirus test, with Telles making his return to action as a stoppage-time substitute in Brazil’s 1-0 win against Venezuela on Saturday.

The Brazilian Football Confederation said the following day that the 27-year-old has again tested positive for the illness but was “no longer in a transmissive stage” – something the Old Trafford giants are looking into.

United said in a statement: “The club is checking on the situation regarding Alex Telles and will assess the defender upon his return to Manchester from international duty later this week.

“Reports in Brazil have suggested Telles has tested positive for Covid-19 for a second time and could therefore miss his nation’s match against Uruguay in Montevideo on Tuesday night.

“However, it is understood Alex’s positive test does not necessarily mean he has contracted the virus again.

 

 

“United’s medical staff at the Aon Training Complex are monitoring the situation in Brazil and will make an assessment when Telles returns to England later this week.

“It is still hoped our recent signing from FC Porto will be available to play in Saturday’s Premier League match against West Bromwich Albion at Old Trafford.”

United have already lost left-back Luke Shaw to an injury picked up in the win over Everton last time out.

Meanwhile, Gus Poyet has warned critics of his fellow Uruguayan Edinson Cavani that the Manchester United striker will prove them wrong as the season progresses.

Cavani to prove crucial

Edinson Cavani

United signed Cavani on deadline day in the recent transfer window, leading to questions about the club’s strategy.

Indeed, the 33-year-old became a free agent in June and so questions arose as to why the Red Devils waited until the final stages of the window to make their move.

Cavani’s prior lack of a club – and pre-season – therefore meant he arrived at Old Trafford without fitness. He has so far made five substitute appearances, scoring in his most recent outing.

That goal came late on in the recent 3-1 win over Everton, a game from which Poyet believes there are danger signs about the heights Cavani can reach in a red shirt.

“I think he is going to be more important for Manchester United than people think,” the 53-year-old told the Daily Mail.

“Look at the last game at Everton. The result was in the balance, he came off the bench, one chance and bang.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM