Man Utd told it would be ‘madness’ to pursue £80m deal for PL star

Date published: Wednesday 16th October 2019 10:35

Paul Ince has said that it would be “madness” for Manchester United to pursue a January move for West Ham midfielder Declan Rice.

Rice has become a key part of Manuel Pellegrini’s side, featuring in all eight of the Hammer’s Premier League fixtures so far this term as well as being a key consideration for Gareth Southgate’s England team.

The 20-year-old’s performances have led to him being linked with a move to Old Trafford but, speaking on talkSPORT, former United man Ince urged the club to steer clear for the foreseeable future.

“People say things just for the sake of saying them. I don’t think they’ll spend £80m on Declan Rice, that’s for sure, at this moment in time,” the pundit said.

 

 

 

“You’ve got to remember he was a centre-half and as a midfield player, I’ve watched quite a lot of him this year, he’s still got a long way to go.

“I think he’s at the right club at West Ham, he’s playing week in, week out, which is important, and I think he’s got the right people around him, like Mark Noble, who has been there a long time, so he’ll learn a lot.

“But stop quoting these ridiculous prices, it’s madness, it really is. In two or three years time, maybe, but he’s still got a lot to learn, he’s still got to grow, be a lot more powerful and get up and down the park quicker than he does.

“That will come as his body develops more but he’s still got to get himself in the box, got to score goals. That’s going to be worth £80-90m, so if he can learn that as he grows older, why not?”

Following the speculation about his future in East London, Rice spoke out about the links with United, saying that West Ham is the “best place” for his development.

 

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM