Man Utd lead the charge for rising Senegal star taking Ligue 1 by storm

Date published: Saturday 17th April 2021 6:18 - Samuel Bannister

Manchester United are at the front of the queue for Metz midfield starlet Pape Sarr, according to a report.

United have been focusing on signing promising young players in recent months. That strategy saw them bring in the likes of Amad Diallo and Facundo Pellistri in recent months. Now, Sarr could be one of the next names on their radar.

After coming through the Generation Foot academy in his native Senegal, Sarr moved to Metz in 2020. He has shown flashes of his potential in his debut season in Europe.

So far in 2020-21, Sarr has played in 18 games for Metz, including 12 appearances as a starter. He has scored three goals and earned his senior Senegal debut in March 2021.

According to The Sun, Man Utd are aware of his rapid rise and currently lead the race to snap him up.

Nice are also keen to give Sarr a different opportunity in France. However, the 18-year-old would rather join a bigger club if he leaves Metz. That could present an opportunity for United.


GET ALL YOUR MANCHESTER UNITED MERCHANDISE HERE – DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE


Sarr is under contract with Metz until 2025, but the Ligue 1 club know there is interest in many of their players. They may struggle to ward off interest from a club as big as Man Utd if they do come forward.

Other than Nice, no other suitors for Sarr are identified in the report, but it seems there will be plenty of clubs watching on if he continues his development.

The teenager plays as a box-to-box midfielder who tends to start from a deeper role. United would likely see him as one for the future rather than an immediate reinforcement but it could help to get him in early.

United currently have plenty of options in midfield, with Scott McTominay and Fred usually forming the base of that area. Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes are their main creative options.

Such is their competition for places that there has been little room for £40m summer signing Donny Van De Beek, while Nemanja Matic has also played a lesser role.

Pogba warns of Cavani consequences

Meanwhile, Pogba says that his club must do everything in their power to keep Edinson Cavani next season.

The striker is out of contract in the summer, although there is the option for his deal to extend into a second year. Even so, he is expected to return to South America.

Boca Juniors are keen to take him to Argentina, but nothing is decided yet. Hence, Pogba is keen for United to keep hold of their striker.


Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


“Edi is a world-class player, a total forward. Now there are few complete forwards, and he is, he is a finisher,” the midfielder told ESPN (via TNT Sports).

“We lack players like this, he is one of the best nine in the world and we need him to play with Manchester.

“We know the importance that that would have and we hope he signs here.”

READ MOREMan Utd target’s buy-out rubbished, but 24-goal forward ‘very likely’ to be sold

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM