Manchester United are lining up a transfer for Ismaila Sarr if they fail to a agree a deal for No.1 target Jadon Sancho this week.
That is the news from the Daily Telegraph, who also claim United have “finally made a bid for Porto left-back Alex Telles”.
The paper claim that United have made an enquiry about the Watford striker’s availability as they look at serious alternatives to Sancho.
United officials have so far failed to come to an agreement with Borussia Dortmund for Sancho. The Bundesliga side are refusing to budge on their £108m valuation of the 20-year-old.
Sarr has been heavily linked with a move away from Watford since they were relegated from the Premier League.
Liverpool were mentioned as potential suitors, but have since signed Diogo Jota.
TEAMtalk were told earlier this month that new Watford boss Vladimir Ivic would like to revive his squad with some new signings. And the sale of Sarr would give them funds to launch the club’s attempts to get back into the Premier League.
Watford’s finances have been stretched following their relegation to the Championship. While the fall-out from the Covid-19 crisis has also hit hard. That is why they may be open to selling Sarr, who has also attracted interest from other Premier League clubs.
Manchester United were linked with the forward and recently the Daily Express said that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had upped his pursuit for the Watford man.
No loan option for £40m man
The Telegraph are now also suggesting a move for Sarr is getting closer, although they say United “have not commented when asked about an enquiry for Sarr”.
Watford are braced for approaches for Sarr ahead of the Oct 16 domestic window closing.
The report says getting a winger on loan would be ideal for United as they would still pursue a move for Sancho at a later date. However, Sarr is believed to only be available on a permanent deal.
Sarr, 22, hit six Premier League goals last season after arriving at Vicarage Road last summer from Rennes in a deal worth £25m.