Man Utd go back in for experienced star after aborted January mission

Date published: Thursday 13th May 2021 11:17 - Matthew Briggs

Kieran Trippier TEAMtalk

Manchester United have been tipped to strengthen their right-back options this summer with two players on their radar.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka has made the right-back berth his own at Old Trafford. However, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is believed to want a more attacking alternative to the 23-year-old, according to the Daily Express. The paper cite Sky Sports and suggest that both Kieran Trippier and Max Aarons are well liked at United.

The suggestion is that United could potentially make a move for either, as they look for a new dimension going forward.

England full-back Trippier is a name well known to United having been on their wanted list in January.

Solskjaer was desperate to add an experienced right-back to his squad and 30-year-old Trippier was “top of United’s list”.

A deal was “discussed” for the former Spurs man before he was slapped with a ban just before Christmas, according to The Atheltic.

The Atletico Madrid defender was hit with the ban on December 23 after the Football Association found him guilty of four of seven alleged breaches of its betting regulations.

That scuppered Solskjaer’s plans. But he could return for the former Burnley man, who is under contract in Madrid until June 2022.

Trippier has spoken about a return to England previously, but has only ever acknowledged a move back to Burnley.

He said: “It’ll happen one day for sure, I’ll 100 per cent be back playing for them [Burnley].

“I would love to retire there. That’s my aim, to retire at Burnley. I want to play as high as I can for as long as I can but I’ll know when the time is right.

“If I’m at Atleti for another two years. That’ll take me to 32, and Burnley’s the only club that I’d come back to England for.”


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


£30m Aarons in demand

Max.Aarons.2021.TEAMtalk31

Meanwhile, Norwich defender Aarons is at the other end of his career. Age 21, Aarons has just a year of top-flight experience under his belt.

Aarons is a man in demand. A number of scouts have been watching him over the last couple of seasons. And he has whipped up further talk over his future this season by starring in 44 of 45 games to help Norwich to promotion.

According to Football Insider, Tottenham have therefore rekindled their interest in the England Under-21 international.

Indeed, they have made the right-back’s addition ‘one of their main priorities’ this summer. West Ham have also been linked with the full-back, who has a reported price tag of £30m.

Everton are among his admirers and, according to the PA news agency, he has been told he can leave for the right price.

READ MORE: Star defender reveals all after coming to realisation over shock Man Utd move

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM