Greenwood form sees Man Utd pull plug on move for £60m attacker

Date published: Wednesday 8th July 2020 1:01

Mason Greenwood, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Man Utd TEAMtalk

Manchester United have shelved plans to sign Moussa Dembele this summer after the emergence of Mason Greenwood, claims a report.

The Daily Star claim that former Celtic striker Dembele was on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s transfer shortlist and the Norwegian had sent scouts to watch the forward before the Ligue 1 campaign was cut short due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Back in February Sky Sports’ Kaveh Solhekol, said a United deal in the summer for £60m-rated Dembele was likely to happen.

However, now the paper report that the 23-year-old “is no longer on United’s radar due to a combination of the forward’s wage demands and emergence of Mason Greenwood”.

French oulet Foot Mercato report that Manchester United are still “keeping an eye” on the Lyon striker, but they could well be pushing the French club’s agenda with suitors disappearing quickly for their prize assett.

Chelsea were understood to have first refusal on Dembele this summer. They, however, have since signed Timo Werner and it looks like Lyon will be left with the forward with his 2023 contract running down.

 

 

“Moussa had a good season, I think that he still has room to improve,” Lyon’s sporting director Juninho said (via GFFN) last month.

“He is a pure centre forward, who brings us a lot of strength and presence in the box. And he scores goals.

“If we lose players of his level, we will seek replacements, I hope of the same level of quality. We have spoken about this with the president.”

 

‘Fine’ in defence

United though will not be making their move after Bradford-born Greenwood stepped up since the restart.

The 18-year-old has scored 17 goals in all competitions this season. Three of those have come in four Premier League games since the resumption.

His form has been enough to persuade Solskjaer to focus on other areas of his side.

The latest speculation claims that Nathan Ake, Tyrone Mings and Alessio Romagnoli are targets for the Red Devils boss.

Solskjaer was seen speaking to Bournemouth’s Ake after the win over the Cherries. He is reported to have said: “We need a left-footed centre-back, so keep going.”

While Solskjaer did not deny making the comments about Ake, he insisted that his side are “fine” in defence.

“I’ve got seven centre-backs, so I don’t know where that’s come from. We’re fine,” the manager said.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM