Manchester United are reportedly considering an improved offer for Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho after seeing an approach for Federico Chiesa fail.
With five days remaining until the close of the international transfer window things are hotting up at Old Trafford. The deadline on October 5 is 11pm, but United could still do a deal with an EFL club until October 16.
That’s not on their agenda though as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s desperately searches for a wide man before Monday.
The Daily Telegraph report that United had a loan enquiry turned down for Italy winger Chiesa.
Fiorentina were not willing to consider a loan for the 22-year-old Chiesa, who is rated around the £45m mark. Juventus are said to be keen on the attacker, who will not be arriving at Old Trafford.
It’s understood that United are talking to Barcelona over a move for Ousmane Dembele,
A renewed offer for Sancho though has not been ruled out and the paper say the “deal is not dead”.
On Tuesday, United submitted a bid for Sancho worth up to £91.3m, which was rejected by Borussia Dortmund. The broadcaster claim the offer was for an initial £73m, rising to £91.3m. However, that fell short of Dortmund’s £108m valuation, which they are sticking to.
Dortmund have insisted that Sancho will not be sold this summer after United missed the August 10 deadline imposed by the Bundesliga club.
Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said last month: “Jadon Sancho will play with us next season. The decision is final.”
Meanwhile, Sancho did not travel with the rest of the Dortmund squad for the German Super Cup match against Bayern Munich on Wednesday due to a “respiratory infection”. The England international has though tested negative for Covid-19.
With Chiesa not an option if the Sancho deal does not materialise, United also have other irons in the fire.
Dembele is one, while Watford’s Ismaila Sarr, Real Madrid’s Luka Jovic and free-agent Edinson Cavani are also on Woodward’s list of targets.