Manchester United turned down sensational Cristiano Ronaldo return

Date published: Thursday 11th March 2021 8:35 - Matthew Briggs

Cristiano Ronaldo TEAMtalk

Manchester United rebuffed the opportunity to re-sign Cristiano Ronaldo from Juventus last summer, according to an Italian journalist.

In a conversation on CMIT TV La Repubblica journalist Emanuele Gamba claimed that Ronaldo was being hawked around the big clubs by his agent Jorge Mendes.

Calciomercato have covered the story and report that Ronaldo, who was mentioned as a target for United last summer, was open to a Turin departure.

However, United were apparently not keen on re-signing the 36-year-old and adding his mega-wages to their books.

Gamba said: “Will he leave? I think the only time there was a chance for that was last summer, and I think his staff moved in that direction,”

“Mendes moved to see if there were any possibilities and did not find them.

“I doubt that a year later, with an even older and more out of fashion Ronaldo, these possibilities will reappear.

“Essentially, Mendes had urged Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United to make a move, who both said no.

“Frankly, I don’t see the possibility of anything different happening now, at least in Europe.”

Ronaldo previously spent six years at Old Trafford, where he scored 118 goals in 292 games. He won the Ballon d’Or while at United in 2008, as well as nine trophies with the club overall.

When he left United in 2009, Ronaldo joined Real Madrid for what was then a world record transfer. He has continued to prove himself among the world’s elite, winning the Ballon d’Or a further four times.

 

 

The forward is now regarded as one of the best players in the history of football. He is still at the top of his game too, having scored 92 goals in 121 games for Juventus since joining them in 2018.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


 New offer for Ronaldo?

As recent as November, Christian Martin, who works for ESPN Argentina and Fox Sports Argentina claimed Ronaldo could still end up back at Old Trafford.

Citing “sources in Manchester”, Martin claimed United had opened talks with Ronaldo over a potential return in summer 2021. The Portuguese forward will carefully weigh up the offer after being “tempted”.

But if Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Co turned down Ronaldo last summer they are unlikely to agree to a deal this summer. At 36 the striker’s powers are diminishing and the prospect of a €30m per year salary will not be met with glee by United’s new structure.

Ronaldo’s contract at Juventus runs until 2022, and the Italian club may consider allowing him to leave.

READ MORE: Bruno Fernandes in ‘daily contact’ with Man Utd target; holds key to move

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM