Man City star Benjamin Mendy charged with rape and sexual assault

Date published: Thursday 26th August 2021 5:27 - TEAMtalk staff

Benjamin Mendy Man City defender August 2021

Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy has been charged with rape and sexual assault, police have said.

The 27-year-old, who also plays for the French national team, is due to appear in court on Friday charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault, a spokesman for Cheshire Police said.

The force said the charges relate to three complainants, over the age of 16. And and are alleged to have happened between October last year and this month.

Mendy, of Withinlee Road, Prestbury, has been remanded in custody ahead of his appearance at Chester Magistrates’ Court, police said.

The left-back has played for Manchester City since 2017, when he joined from Monaco for a reported £52 million.

A police spokesman said: “Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he has a right to a fair trial.”

In a statement, Manchester City said: “Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.

“The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete.”


Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


City offered Spurs pick of five players for Kane

Meanwhile, Manchester City’s attempts to sign Harry Kane reportedly included the pick of five players in a part-exchange deal.

The Premier League champions were unsuccessful in their attempts to sign the England skipper, with the player’s hefty £150million valuation pricing them out of the move as Kane looked to force his way out of north London.

The 28-year-old was keen to leave Spurs this transfer window, with City the only club really showing interest. It was suggested that the Etihad outfit were prepared to break the British club transfer record to sign Kane.

However, their Kane pursuit ultimately collapsed on Wednesday when the prolific striker committed to remain at Tottenham this summer. And now a report in The Athletic has now outlined City’s failed pursuit of the player.

It details their first approach, which saw five of their first-team squad offered in part-exchange. Gabriel Jesus, Bernardo Silva, Raheem Sterling, Aymeric Laporte and Riyad Mahrez were all names on the table.

This was followed up by a second approach. In that proposal, City offered £75million upfront, along with a further £25million in add-ons.

READ MORE: Earth-shattering signing moves step closer as Cristiano Ronaldo reaches ‘agreement’

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM