Man Utd Champions League hero was on brink of Liverpool move

Jo Harrison

Teddy Sheringham had reportedly agreed personal terms with Liverpool before making the switch to their great rivals Manchester United in 1997.

The England star was hot property after successful spells with Millwall, Nottingham Forest and Tottenham and scored the first live goal in Premier League history – against Liverpool – in a 1-0 win for Forest in 1992.

With his stock increased further by some superb displays in Euro 96, the then Liverpool manager, Roy Evans, wanted to bring Sheringham to Anfield and pair him with Robbie Fowler.

According to a report in The Athletic, Sheringham had actually agreed personal terms but the Liverpool board halted the deal, deciding that, at 31-years-old, the London-born striker was too old.

Of course, the rest is history.

Sheringham was instead snapped up by Manchester United for just £3.5million and went on to win seven trophies for Sir Alex Ferguson’s side – proving an extremely astute signing.

The highlight was the unprecedented 1998-1999 treble season when he poached a last-minute equaliser in the Champions League final against Bayern Munich before setting up current United boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, to prod up the winner moments later.

He eventually went on to score 46 goals in 153 appearances for United between 1997 and 2001 during a period when Liverpool finished third, seventh, fourth and third.


Sheringham later returned to Spurs and saw out his career with further moves to Portsmouth, West Ham, Colchester and Stevenage, managing the latter in 2015-2016.

He was also appointed as head coach of Indian Super League side Atletico de Kolkata in 2017.

Now 53, Sheringham recently recalled the dramatic closing moments of the 1999 Champions League final in an interview with Betstars last year.

He said: “Even when I came on as a substitute, we still hadn’t really turned the game round. Bayern Munich could have gone two, three, or even four-nil up if they had scored a second goal. There was a sense of relief amongst the players that we were still in the game, really.

“We thought we had taken the game to extra time after my goal. The game had just gone into injury time, so for me to score in that time you think: “Yes! We’ve got half an hour to put things right now.”

“Little did we know that we’d have a chance to put the nail in the coffin with Ole’s goal in the dying embers of the game.”