Man Utd lodge shock offer for Liverpool, Everton World Cup target

Date published: Wednesday 25th July 2018 11:55

Unsettled Barcelona defender Yerry Mina has received an offer from Manchester United, according to a report in Spain.

The Colombia defender, who scored three times at the World Cup in Russia, has been mentioned as a target for Liverpool and Everton this summer, but United’s interest has come out of the blue.

Spanish outlet Sport report that Mina has received an offer from United, with Jose Mourinho looking to add some strength and depth to his defence.

Mina, 23, hinted earlier this month that he will leave Barcelona this summer after revealing his mental anguish at the club.

The commanding defender has struggled to get game time at Barca since his €11.8million January transfer from Palmeiras– in fact he played in just five La Liga matches last season and often didn’t even make the bench for manager Ernesto Valverde’s side.

“I want to play for a team where there is less pressure and where I can have minutes,” said Mina.

“I will always try to do my best for me, for my club and I hope that wherever I end up, whether it is at Barcelona or whether I have to leave, I will do it in the best way, but for the moment I am happy at Barcelona.”

AS cited journalist Ignacio Miguelez, in May told the Spanish program El Chiringuito that Barca were keen for Mina to get some experience in Europe and that Liverpool would be his destination for next season.

Fotomac then reported that Liverpool have registered their interest in the centre-back, while more recently the Liverpool Echo reported that the Toffees were also in for the player.

Last week Boca Juniors offered Barcelona €5million to loan Mina for 12 months, according to Gianluca Di Marzio.

That offer also includes an option to buy the player for €10million and should he agree to join permanently he would have a €30million release clause inserted into his contract.

That is somewhat lower than the €100million buyout clause that exists in his Camp Nou contract at present.

Mina is expected to hold talks with the Catalan giants to discover where his future lies and if Barca want to add another non-EU player to their ranks, Mina may well make way with Arthur Melo, Philippe Coutinho and Mina filling their three places.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM