Manchester United, Tottenham missed out on La Liga forward in January

Date published: Wednesday 15th April 2020 4:04 - Sam Charlton

Manchester United and Tottenham were among the teams chasing Willian Jose in the January transfer window, according to the player’s agent. 

The Brazilian striker has scored nine goals for Real Sociedad in La Liga this season and is said to have been shortlisted as a potential target by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Jose Mourinho, while it is also claimed that Newcastle United and Barcelona were interested.

Both United and Spurs were in the market for a forward in January having seen Marcus Rashford (back) and Harry Kane (hamstring) suffer long-term injuries, however finding a replacement proved to be difficult for both sides.

The likes of Luka Jovic, Islam Slimani and Krzysztof Piatek were frequently linked with each club, but it has now been claimed that Jose was a serious option for transfer chiefs at Old Trafford and the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

In an interview with journalist Jorge Nicola, cited on Sport Witness, Jose’s agent Nick Arcuri said: “So I tell everyone, just in this January market, he had, that’s official, alright Jorge? He had Barcelona, he had Tottenham, he had Manchester United, he had Newcastle. Then, just there, again, he speaks for himself.”

When asked who came closest to signing the 28-year-old, Arcuri added: “Tottenham. They got to offer between… they wanted to offer a player and an amount, so it was about €30m.”

Other reports suggest that the fee proved to be the deal breaker for Spurs, with the La Liga club demanding much more than they were willing to pay to complete the deal.

They ended the window without signing a new striker, although did see Steven Bergwijn join from PSV in a £27million deal and Gedson Fernandes arrive from Benfica on loan until the end of next season.

 

 

United, meanwhile, opted to sign former Watford striker Odion Ighalo from Chinese Super League outfit Shanghai Shenhua until the end of the current campaign with a view to making his move permanent.

The Nigerian has scored four goals in eight games for the Red Devils and it had been suggested his performances have already convinced the club to offer him a long-term contract, however the striker has denied those suggestions.

Meanwhile, United have been offered the chance to recruit a prolific Italian striker in a cut price deal in the next transfer window.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM