Manchester United tracking alternative experienced striker option for January

Date published: Monday 21st October 2019 3:20

Edinson Cavani TEAMtalk

Manchester United are tracking Edinson Cavani’s situation at Paris Saint-Germain, according to ESPN.

Cavani, 32, is understood to have rejected David Beckham’s Inter Miami’s advances after French outlet Le Parisien revealed that Thomas Tuchel has told the club that he doesn’t want Paris Saint-Germain to offer a new deal to the Uruguayan.

The experienced forward started PSG’s first three games of the season in all competitions but has not featured since August, sidelined first by a hip injury and then by the form of the club’s other attackers.

He was an unused substitute in the recent 4-1 win over Nice, but his future looks bleak with his contract set to expire next summer.

Calciomercato have reported that Inter Milan and United could both reignite their interest in the Uruguyan, with L’Equipe claiming Atletico Madrid have joined United and Italian clubs Juventus and Napoli in a a race to sign him.

Now ESPN claim “United will be keeping tabs on Edinson Cavani’s contract situation” as they look for a new striker in January.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said last month “you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see that it’s forwards that next time we’re going to recruit”.

United were then heavily linked with a move for veteran Croatian striker Mario Mandzukic, although ESPN have since claimed that interest in him has cooled.

Whoever United sign in January there is now a strong chance Solskjaer will add some experience to his squad after targeting youth in the summer.

 

 

“January is a difficult window, anyway,” he said. “But if there are players available and at the right price, I’m sure we will spend,” he told Sky Sports.

“There might be some experienced players who can come in and help the younger players – that might be worth the money.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM