Diego Costa transfer snubbed, as striker chases PL return

Date published: Wednesday 13th January 2021 11:50

Diego Costa TEAMtalk

Ligue 1 side Marseille have rejected the chance to sign out-of-contract striker Diego Costa, according to a report in France.

Costa, 32, saw his contract with Atletico terminated last month, with six months still to run.

The former Chelsea striker is now a free agent and believed to be looking for a return to the Premier League.

The powerful forward was though in talks to sign with Marseille, but the French club rejected the move.

Diario AS cite a report from La Provence claiming OM decided against a move and were not looking for a striker with Costa’s profile.

Arsenal, Tottenham and Wolves have all been linked tentatively with a move for Costa.

Journalist Fabrizio Romano has insisted the Brazilian-born attacker would be happy to play in England.

“He hopes to receive some bids from the Premier League,” he told Sky Sports. “At the moment I don’t have anything confirmed about Wolves. There are a lot of rumours but nothing advanced.

“But for sure, Diego is waiting for a call from the Premier League. He would love to come back, he loves the atmosphere. Let’s see. It will be interesting to have this kind of striker available as a free agent right now.”

 

 

According to The Times, Arsenal will not be making a move for the player.

The January report did add that Wolves possess an interest in Costa as they look for cover up front. With Raul Jimenez missing with a head injury they need cover in attack.

His wages may well be a huge problem though. Costa is said to have earned around £270,000-a-week at Atletico and he will more than likely have to take a big hit on that.

Costa though would surely bring goals, but baggage too.

He enjoyed a controversial three-year stint at Stamford Bridge between 2014 and 2017. He bagged 59 goals from 120 appearances in all competitions but was rarely out of the headlines.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM