Schalke winger Rabbi Matondo has said that a return to the Premier League is not off the cards, amid reported interest in him from Manchester United.
The 19-year-old has made nine Bundesliga starts this season – including against Augsburg on Sunday – after leaving Manchester City’s academy in January last year.
Reports emerged earlier this month that United have sounded Matondo out as their back-up signing in the event that a move for Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho failed.
It was then revealed that Matondo has a €60million release clause in his contract that applies to English clubs except City, as per their buy-back clause.
Speaking to the Manchester Evening News, the winger insisted that while he is fully focused on Schalke, a return to the English top flight could be a possibility.
“Obviously there are people talking, asking me and stuff but I am not really thinking about it,” Matondo said.
“I am concentrating on Schalke. I still have to achieve my goals for Schalke. I am just concentrating on that and we just see how things go, but for now I am just focused on Schalke.
“Hopefully I can get into the team and help them climb up the table.”
Asked about a potential return to the Premier League, Matondo added: “I haven’t really thought about it like that.
“I just want to do well at Schalke and give back what they have invested into me. I just want to give my all and then whatever happens in the future happens. Never say never.”
Schalke were thrashed 4-0 by Dortmund in their first game back since the Bundesliga restarted.
Matondo featured in the second half of that encounter and his only goal for Schalke this season came against RB Leipzig in September.
In other news, United are expected to earn significantly more from the sale of unwanted defender Marcos Rojo than first thought.