Matthijs de Ligt responds after tough debut for Juventus

Date published: Tuesday 3rd September 2019 3:19

Matthijs de Ligt TEAMtalk

Matthijs de Ligt has responded to criticism after his baptism-of-fire start to life in Italy with Juventus.

The young centre-back, who signed for an initial fee of €75m from Ajax in the summer, had a tough start to his career in Serie A on Saturday in the 4-3 win over Napoli.

After being an unused sub against Parma, De Ligt was handed his full debut against Napoli and had a tough time up against new Napoli frontman Hirving Lozano.

Lozano arrived as a second-half sub and scored and generally gave 20-year-old De Ligt a tough afternoon.

Ligt though has defended himself and say he will take time to get up to speed in Turin.

“It is a dream, I am very proud of the people who have helped me in the last year, proud of the family that supports me,” De Ligt said, as cited by Calciomercato.

“Juve? I am now in a new nation and I know that nothing is easy. I will work hard in Italy to succeed in emulating the old generation of the Koeman, the Van Persie, the Robben and the Van Gaal.”

The Holland international has also been defended by his national team boss Ronald Koeman.

 

READ MORE: De Ligt says Man Utd rumour annoyed him

“What is all this fuss about? He had a difficult time against Lozano and things have not worked, but we are all too quick in judgments.

“I can show you the newspaper clippings when I made my debut at Barcelona, ​​everyone wondered what they had bought. I want to trust my players and things will not change. De Ligt will play as central right and it is obvious that it will take time to adapt to Serie A.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM