Lionel Messi takes swipe at Barcelona board, but confirms gesture to club’s staff

Date published: Monday 30th March 2020 3:51

Lionel Messi TEAMtalk

Lionel Messi has taken a swipe at the Barcelona board after confirming the players will take a 70% pay cut during the coronavirus pandemic.

Messi also confirmed that the players would make additional contributions to ensure non-sporting staff receive their full wages throughout the suspension of football in the country.

Barcelona announced last week that they were going apply for an ERTE, which allows companies to impose a temporary pay cut of up 70% on their employees during the crisis.

Up until now the players had not agreed the move, but a statement released on Messi’s Instagram account, accepts those measures and proposes the players, whose collective annual salaries amount to €391m, will help subsidise non playing staff.

Messi, who refers to “pressure” coming from “within the club”, has said the move was delayed as the players were “looking for a formula to help the club”.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Leo Messi (@leomessi) on

In a statement, Messi said: “Before going any further, we want to make it clear that we were always willing to reduce our salaries because we understand perfectly that we are in an exceptional situation. We, as players, are always here to help the the club when they ask.

 

 

 

“It does not cease to surprise us that from within the club there were those who tried to put us under the magnifying glass and tried to add pressure to do something that we always knew we would do.

“If we didn’t speak until now, it’s because the priority was to to find solutions to help the club and to see who the most affected were during this situation.

“For our party, the moment has arrived that, the cut will be 70% of our wage during the state of alarm. We will also help out the club in order for the workers to be paid 100% of their wages.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM