Mick McCarthy not happy with Troy Parrott’s new Spurs contract

Date published: Tuesday 11th February 2020 10:14

Troy Parrott’s new contract at Tottenham Hotspur may have delighted Jose Mourinho and Spurs fans, but Mick McCarthy was less than impressed.

Parrott signed a three-year contract extension with the club on Friday just a few days after he turned 18.

Republic of Ireland midfielder Parrott made his senior Spurs debut in September last year against Colchester United in the Carabao Cup before getting his first international cap for the Republic of Ireland in November against New Zealand.

Asked if he was happy with Parrott’s new contract, Irish boss McCarthy told The Irish Times: “Not really.  I wish he’d gone to Charlton and played games on loan.

“It’s great for him financially, he’s got a new contract but I wish he was playing football somewhere.

“He couldn’t go out before because of his age and I understand that but if he’s not playing competitive football he has very little chance of being in the squad.”

The striker was been tracked by Juventus, according to Italian publication Calcio Mercato (via Goal.com). They claimed in October that the Turin club had ommenced scouting of the marksman, and would be keeping close tabs on how the starlet progresses.

 

 

Meanwhile, former Spurs midfielder Christian Eriksen was also a huge fan of the youngster.

“I hope Troy plays as it will be good fun to see him on the pitch,” said Eriksen. “For a player so young, he is a great striker who makes brilliant runs and scores with excellent finishes. Troy is not a shy guy. He stands his ground against defenders.

“I read that he did very well on his Ireland debut against New Zealand and I expect him to play lots more matches for Ireland and Tottenham.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM