Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho insists he is ready to further strengthen his squad – and appears to have a new striker in his sights.
Spurs got their season off and running with a 5-2 demolition of Southampton – Heung-min Son scoring four times at St Mary’s.
The win came less than a day after Spurs announced the double signing of Gareth Bale and Sergio Reguilon. Despite the double transfer boost, Spurs are still after more with a striker next on the list.
To that end, Tottenham have been strongly linked with Andrea Belotti of Torino after reportedly seeing an opening offer rejected.
Mourinho admits he’s happy with his business so far, but is adamant there is more to come for Spurs.
“Gareth when fit is one of the top players in Europe,” he said. “Sergio was amazing last season. If you ask me if I am happy to have these players, yes I am.”
When asked whether he would like further additions, he added: “Yes. For a season like this we need a good squad and we need two players for each position,” suggesting another striker could be on the way.
One man who does look likely to make way is Dele Alli. The midfielder was left out of the squad for Sunday’s win; a decision that appeared to shock the Tottenham squad.
The midfielder has since emerged as a possible target for PSG and talks over a move are said to be underway.
Mourinho wasn’t in the mood for discussing Dele’s possible exit, but did offer an explanation for leaving him out.
“I’m not responsible for the market. I don’t know how to answer your question in relation to that,” he said.
“The only thing I can say is that I left eight players behind. They stayed and trained this morning because they are a big group and Dele is amongst these players.
“I want a balanced squad, that’s what I want.”
“Too many players, so I start with Son [Heung-min], Lucas [Moura], with Harry [Kane] and on the bench I still have Moussa Sissoko and [Erik] Lamela and [Steven] Bergwijn.
“We have too many players for some positions and some of them are paying the price of this.”
- READ MORE: Mourinho concerned by replica goal
Mourinho explains Ndombele substitution
Ndombele, who struggled for fitness last season in his debut Spurs campaign, received backing from Mourinho last week.
The Portuguese manager claimed he could see the French midfielder enjoying an “evolution”, although he was brought off at half-time against the Saints.
Mourinho said: “Football is not just about one action. There were three or four players with yellow cards, Tanguy for us, [Oriel] Romeo and two more players with yellow cards.
“I felt in the second half the game will be broken and it would be a risk for Tanguy. It was a risk also for them, in fact Romeu was close to getting a second yellow card.
“I changed Tanguy because I knew that Gio would give us a little bit more because he’s in a better condition than Tanguy.”
Spurs face Leyton Orient in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday in their next fixture.