Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho has said that Cheslea counterpart Frank Lampard could struggle in the January transfer window due to the current quality of his side.
Chelsea, who are nine points clear of Spurs in the Premier League table, are free to splash the cash in 2020 after the Court of Arbitration for Sport cut short their two-window restriction.
Recent reports have suggested that Lampard has been allocated as much as £150m for January but speaking in a press conference on Friday, Mourinho said that he isn’t worried about the latest development.
“I’m not worried with that,” the Portuguese said. “First of all, I’m not looking to the distance we have to Chelsea. “Between us and Chelsea there are still two or three teams, so you cannot look so high and so far in this moment.
“The second situation is for me that it’s not easy to get better players than they have – they have very good players.
“I don’t think even with a ban or even with a hypothetical multi-million budget to spend, I’m not very, very sure they can get much better players than they have.”
Mourinho was previewing his side’s clash with Burnley on Saturday, which comes after Spurs’ early defensive worries under their new boss continued on Wednesday.
Two goals from Marcus Rashford saw Manchester United beat Tottenham and it was the fourth game in a row the club have conceded two goals.
Asked about how he is planning on rectifying the problems, Mourinho said: “It’s not the defence. It’s the defensive process which is a different thing.
“When we speak about defence we speak about keepers, centre-backs, the mistakes you make at the back. That’s not the way I look at things.
“I don’t look at individuals but the defensive process, and that belongs to 11 players on the pitch.
“It is in our organisation that we have to resolve our problems, not about one players, or signings. It’s a process.”
The Dutch international has been key for his side over the past year, playing a starring role in their run to the Champions League semi-finals and earning a spot on the 30-man shortlist for the Ballon d’Or.
According to De Telegraaf, however, Van de Beek would rather play at Real Madrid under Zinedine Zidane than for Jose Mourinho.