Naby Keita verdict cheers Klopp as Liverpool get triple selection lift

Date published: Wednesday 14th October 2020 11:47

Naby Keita

Liverpool look likely to be able to call upon Naby Keita after all in Sunday’s Merseyside derby after the midfielder reportedly tested negative for Covid-19.

The Guinean midfielder appeared set to miss out against Everton after reports in his homeland stated he had contracted the coronavirus.

Four other Guinea players are also said to have tested positive following Sunday’s match with Cape Verde.

If proven correct, Keita would have been forced to undergo a two-week period of isolation. That would have forced him to miss out against the Toffees.

However, a second test appears to have given Keita the all-clear. The Daily Express now reports Keita will be available to take on Carlo Ancelotti’s side.

The former RB Leipzig man has started all four of Liverpool’s Premier League games this season. He looks like he has turned a corner over his form after a rocky time of things at Anfield so far.

However, his place may have been under threat with Jurgen Klopp likely to ponder the changes at Goodison Park.

Liverpool were trounced 7-2 by Aston Villa last time out and the Reds boss is likely to make some changes.

One man who could be in the running is Thiago Alcantara. He too was forced to undergo a period of self-isolation after testing positive for coronavirus.

 

Thiago made his Liverpool debut in their 2-0 Premier League win at Chelsea but missed Monday’s 3-1 victory over Arsenal, with boss Jurgen Klopp saying he was not fit enough.

“After the international break, he will be fine,” the German told Sky Sports.

“For sure and that’s the situation at the moment, he isn’t fit enough to be available tonight and that’s it.”

In addition to Thiago and Keita, Liverpool will also be able to call upon Sadio Mane.

He too has completed a two-week isolation period after returning a postive test.

 


Subscribe to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


 

Karius reveals Klopp’s parting message

Loris Karius, meanwhile, has lifted the lid on the pep talk Jurgen Klopp gave him after he departed Liverpool for, quite possibly, the final time this summer.

Loris Karius, Sophia Thomalla

The German goalkeeper has not played for the club since making two costly errors in the 2018 Champions League final.

He spent the next two seasons on loan at Besiktas, but it became clear that move would not be made permanent when he fell out with them over unpaid wages.

Now Karius is back in his native Germany, after signing on loan for Union Berlin.

The keeper now has just a year left on his Liverpool deal. It appears highly unlikely he’ll play for the Reds again.

Karius is well aware of the situation and insists Klopp was a gentleman to the last.

He says the Liverpool manager was completely up front with him over his future. Now he has revealed his parting message from Klopp.

 

Read what was said between the pair, HERE…..

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM