Super-sub Willock heads Newcastle to victory in dramatic win over 10-man West Ham

Date published: Saturday 17th April 2021 2:31 - Matthew Briggs

Newcastle TEAMtalk

Sub Joe Willock scored almost immediately after coming on to hand Newcastle a dramatic 3-2 victory over 10-man West Ham on Saturday lunchtime.

West Ham pressed the self-destruct button in the first half at St James’ Park. A combination of first-half mistakes saw the Hammers 2-0 down and down to 10 men with Craig Dawson sent off for two yellow cards.

David Moyes’ men though came back strongly in the second half and goals from Issa Diop, after he had early scored an own goal and Jesse Lingard’s penalty looked to have earned them a point before Willock headed in on 82 minutes.

Callum Wilson had to remain patient as Newcastle head coach Steve Bruce named him on the bench against the Hammers.

The club’s leading goalscorer returned from a seven-game lay-off with a torn hamstring as a substitute at Burnley last Sunday and was again kept in reserve.

But there was a start for Allan Saint-Maximin, who scored the winner after coming on at Turf Moor following his groin injury, in place of Dwight Gayle.

Hammers boss David Moyes made two changes to the side which beat Leicester 3-2, with defenders Arthur Masuaku and Aaron Cresswell making way for Angelo Ogbonna and Ben Johnson.

And the Magpies took the lead nine minutes before the break after Craig Dawson took a heavy touch and in his efforts to recover felled Joelinton on halfway.

Craig Dawson red card TEAMtalk

Referee Kevin Friend allowed play to continue and Saint-Maximin sprinted away and skipped past Noble before sending the ball towards goal, from a tight angle. Issa Diop had got back and looked set to clear the ball before he got his feet into a tangle and bundled it into his own net.

Dawson, who had been booked earlier for a foul on Joelinton, then received a second yellow card and was dismissed.

And on 41 minutes Newcastle were handed a second goal after Łukasz Fabianski inexplicably dropped Matt Ritchie’s corner at the feet of Joelinton, who hammered home from two yards out.

Issa Diop own goal TEAMtalk

Fabianski redeemed himself to an extent by keeping out the Brazilian’s 43rd-minute strike, but his side went in at the break trailing 2-0.

Diop did score at the right end on 73 minutes. Jarrod Bowen received a throw-in and whipped a cross into Diop, who headed it into the ground and past the keeper.

And seven minutes later the Hammers were level when Jesse Lingard scored from the spot after Ciaran Clark handled a ball into the box.

Willock though arrived soon after and had only been on a few seconds before he headed home from Matt Ritchie’s left-wing cross.


Related Articles