Newcastle beat West Ham to move out of bottom three

Date published: Saturday 16th January 2016 4:58

Georginio Wijnaldum: Celebrates scoring Newcastle United's second against West Ham

Ayoze Perez and Georginio Wijnaldum scored as Newcastle United beat West Ham 2-1 at St James’ Park to move out of the Premier League relegation zone.

Debutant Jonjo Shelvey turned in just the kind of performance which convinced the Magpies to spend £12million to sign him from Swansea City, but he could face retrospective action over an off-the-ball body-check on Hammers striker Enner Valencia which did not appear to be spotted by referee Neil Swarbrick.

But whatever the future holds for Shelvey, he went home with a smile on his face after first-half goals from Perez and Wijnaldum – the Dutchman’s ninth of the season – proved enough to secure a first win seven games in all competitions and condemn the visitors to a first defeat in 10.

Buoyed by both their midweek fightback against Manchester United and the signings of Shelvey and Henri Saivet, Newcastle started with an intensity and belief which has eluded them for much of the campaign to date, and were richly rewarded.

Perez had already seen Adrian claim his early side-footed effort when he fired the Magpies into a sixth-minute lead, curling the ball sweetly beyond the keeper after Wijnaldum had laid the ball off from Shelvey’s pass.

Ayoze Perez

It was 2-0 with just 15 minutes played, and the way in which the home side extended their lead will have thrilled head coach Steve McClaren and the bulk of a crowd of 50,031.

Shelvey speared a long pass into the run of full-back Daryl Janmaat, who collected it without breaking stride before sliding a cross to Wijnaldum, who steered the ball into the roof of the net.

Newcastle simply had too much pace, power and movement for the hapless Hammers, who found themselves pinned back deep inside their own half for much of the opening 45 minutes.

Aleksandar Mitrovic saw a stabbed shot blocked by Adrian after exchanging passes with Wijnaldum and later missed his kick in front of goal as he tried to volley home Perez’s inviting cross. In the meantime, full-back Paul Dummett was denied from a tight angle by the keeper and Moussa Sissoko saw a close-range effort blocked.

The shell-shocked Hammers finally eased their way into the game as the half-time whistle approached and it took a fine save from the previously under-employed Rob Elliot to keep out Cheikhou Kouyate’s 43rd-minute snapshot.

Wijnaldum might have made it 3-0 within three minutes of the restart when he scuffed his shot wide after linking with Sissoko and Mitrovic, but the game was blown wide-open within seconds when defender Chancel Mbemba left his back-pass to Elliot woefully short and half-time substitute Nikica Jelavic rounded the keeper to half the deficit.

Nikica Jelavic West Ham celebration

The visitors were revitalised by their lifeline and took the game to their hosts for much of the second half, although Mitrovic forced two saves from Adrian and Shelvey a third as McClaren’s men hit them repeatedly on the break, but Elliot had to produce an 89th-minute save to deny Kouyate an equaliser in a rousing finish.

Related Articles