Newcastle closing in on move for teenage Lyon attacker
Newcastle have reportedly contacted French giants Lyon over a move to sign teenage sensation Myziane Maolida.
French newspaper L’Equipe claims that the Magpies have entered the race to sign the talented attacker, having struggled to bring in a number of Rafa Benitez’s top targets so far this summer.
Indeed, Benitez revealed on Wednesday that he had “no idea” which players he might be signing.
“I said what I had to say on transfers two months ago, we’ll see what the next 10 days bring,” said Benitez.
“I have no idea. I have no idea how close we are to anyone.”
If Newcastle are to sign 19-year-old Maolida, however, they will have to fight off interest from Spanish sides Real Betis and Sevilla.
The report in L’Equipe goes on to state that Maolida, who made 20 Ligue 1 appearances last season, is valued at £7.1m (€8m).
Lyon’s recent capture of Tottenham youngster Reo Griffiths could also speed up Maolida’s departure, with the transfer window in the Premier League closing on August 9.
Newcastle have so far brought in Martin Dubravka, Fabian Schar and Ki Sung-yueng, while Kenedy is on loan from Chelsea.