Newcastle defender says he ‘can’t wait’ to leave St James’ Park

Date published: Monday 18th January 2021 5:58

Achaf Lazaar TEAMtalk

A heavily out-of-favour Newcastle United full-back has stated that he is ready to leave the Premier League outfit very soon.

After spending last season on loan with Serie B club Cosenza, Achraf Lazaar tried to force a move away from St James’ Park during the summer, Sport Witness reports.

His agent Mohammed Sinouh reportedly had tried to secure a move for him elsewhere ‘until the last day’.

He has been shut out of Steve Bruce’s plans during his tenure, having not played a single minute of first team football this season.

In fact, the Moroccan has played just ten senior games for the Magpies since his move from Palermo in 2016.

Indeed, he has never played a single Premier League game for the club. His last competitive appearance came in the League Cup in 2017.

 

 

In the meantime, he has spent loan spells at Sheffield Wednesday and Italian outfit Benevento. Last year, he admitted he regretted joining the North East outfit.

Sport Witness now states that Lazaar said he “can’t wait to start a new challenge.”

According to TuttoMercatoWeb, the 28-year-old has been told he can leave Newcastle for nothing this month.

Sinouh has managed to come to the agreement between the client and his employers thanks to upholding a ‘good relationship’ with the club.

The source states that the defender is now trying to find the ‘right destination’.

Although no clubs have been linked with a move for him yet, the outcast ‘warms up the engines to leave’.

Lazaar has played three games in Premier League 2 this season, as well as a full 90 minutes in the EFL Trophy with the under-23 squad.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Newcastle in for defender

The Magpies are reportedly interested in the acquisition of Napoli defender Faouzi Ghoulam.

Once linked to Liverpool and Manchester United, the 29-year-old used to be a regular at the Italian giants.

However, in more recent times he has slipped down the pecking order.

He made just three starts last campaign and has only one start this term.

Newcastle are eyeing an initial loan deal but Napoli are supposedly hoping for a permanent switch.

Read more…

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM