Newcastle talks to pull off stunning double striker deal ahead of takeover

Date published: Tuesday 21st April 2020 7:18

Edinson.Cavani.PSG_.TEAMtalk

Newcastle are reportedly in talks to sign Edinson Cavani and Dries Mertens, as the Magpies’ prospective new owners target big-name recruits.

A Saudi-based consortium are finalising a takeover of the club, after an agreement was found with much-maligned Toon owner Mike Ashley earlier this week.

And according to Metro, the new owners will waste little time in making their mark on the club, although that could spell bad news for current St James’ boss Steve Bruce.

The consortium are also said to want to recruit a top-class manager and have Mauricio Pochettino and Massimiliano Allegri in their sights.

Though experienced pair would not ordinarily consider the Newcastle job, but the new owners believe they can pull off a similar move to the one that lured Carlo Ancelotti to Everton.

However, the report adds that the owners need to show their intent first by going after some big names.

Cavani, 33, has proved himself to be one of the most prolific strikers in Europe during his time with PSG, where he has notched 200 goals in 300 appearances.

However, the Uruguayan, who was linked Manchester United and Chelsea during the summer, is out of favour following Mauro Icardi’s arrival in Paris and Newcastle have opened talks with his agent to find out if he would consider a move to the north-east.

Similarly, the Magpies have touched base with Mertens’ representatives and believe that they have a realistic chance of signing the Belgian, who is also wanted by Frank Lampard’s Blues.

The Newcastle takeover is expected to be announced in the coming days, although Amnesty International has written to the Premier League saying it “risks becoming a patsy” unless it takes a serious look at Saudi Arabia’s human rights record with regard to the takeover.

 

 

Newcastle set to obliterate Prem rivals as owners rich list is revealed

Newcastle are edging closer to a takeover that would see them obliterate their Premier League rivals and have the richest owners in the country.

The £300million deal is gathering pace, with the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund having already paid current Magpies owner Mike Ashley a deposit.

Yasir Al-Rumayyan, a close associate of Mohammed bin Salman, will become new chairman – with his powerful friend also backing the St James’ Park takeover, as reported in The Sun.

Following the deal’s completion, the Saudi consortium will own 80 per cent of the club – with Amanda Staveley and the Reuben brothers each evenly splitting the remaining 20 per cent.

The report adds that while some fans are ‘conflicted by the morality of Saudi ownership’, others are simply ‘excited at having owners worth more than 10 times Manchester City’s Sheikh Mansour’. Read more…

 

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM