Newcastle lodge new €35m bid for Man Utd, Arsenal midfield target

Date published: Thursday 10th September 2020 4:59

Boubakary Soumare TEAMtalk

Newcastle have returned with a new offer for Lille midfielder Boubakary Soumare, according to reports.

Soumare was a top target for Newcastle in January, with Steve Bruce admitting that they had a plane booked for him before he changed his mind.

“We had a plane booked to go and meet him, but the boy changed his mind,” Bruce said at the time. “We thought last weekend we had a chance to bring him in.

“He’s only young and there’s a lot of top clubs who have been linked with him. You’ve got to respect the decision.”

The 21-year-old continued his good form after that transfer fell through, and remains a target for a number of big clubs. As well as Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United have been linked.

Last week, Lille’s president admitted that they would face difficulties keeping Soumare before the transfer window closes in October.

“We have had important offers from clubs where he did not want to go,” Gerard Lopez said.

“All three parties have to agree for a transfer to occur… He’s quite impatient to play and that’s normal. It shows ambition.

“He will undoubtedly leave the club, the door is open. We have concrete offers. We will talk in the coming days.”

However, Lille’s acceptance that Soumare will leave hasn’t stopped them fending off a fresh bid from Newcastle for the player.

 

According to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, Newcastle have made a new offer for Soumare. The bid would total up to €35m including add-ons.

Lille have turned that offer down, though. They are presumably holding out for more money.

Newcastle’s transfer window sprung into life recently with the additions of Callum Wilson, Ryan Fraser and Jamal Lewis. Jeff Hendrick and Mark Gillespie had already joined the club on free transfers over the summer.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM