Newcastle scouting prolific £20m striker, with double deal lined up

Date published: Thursday 13th February 2020 8:02

Newcastle United are continuing to scout £20million-rated Brentford striker Ollie Watkins, ahead of a potential summer move.

The Tyneside outfit are reportedly keen on Bees duo Watkins and £30m playmaker Said Benrahma, as Steve Bruce looks to improve his attacking options for next season, according to the Chronicle.

Newcastle broke their transfer record to bring in Joelinton last summer, but the Brazilian has struggled badly for goals, scoring only once in the Premier League and three times in total.

Watkins, meanwhile, has scored 20 goals and provided three assists at Brentford this term, and there is a feeling that his physical presence could be suited to Newcastle’s system of play.

Indeed, Watkins has so much power that his current manager, Thomas Frank, even compared him to Manchester United and Real Madrid legend Cristiano Ronaldo.

“It’s a big comparison so I don’t want to go down that route but, in a way, I’ve mentioned it now,” Frank said to the Wandsworth Guardian.

“He’s like a Cristiano Ronaldo-type, that he can play as a nine or he can play to the side, or he can play as a 10, but because he’s so versatile he has abilities you can benefit off in all positions. Then it’s about getting the best out of him and the team.”

Newcastle’s only concern will be that Brentford are not promoted, in which case they would certainly be in a position to keep their best players, with the Bees currently fourth in the Championship but only two points off automatic promotion.

 

 

Meanwhile, Manchester United are ready to go head to head with Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid to sign defender Mohammed Salisu, claims a report.

The Real Valladolid centre-back, who has also been linked with Newcastle, has been earning rave reviews in LaLiga after progressing through the academy.

The 20-year-old has made 24 appearances this season and was called up by Ghana last year.

Spanish publication AS say United could test Valladolid’s resolve with a bid for Salisu when the transfer window opens again in the summer. Read more…

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM