Newcastle to let striker leave in cut-price deal; Leeds readying bid

Rob McCarthy

Newcastle are reportedly willing to accept a cut-price deal to offload Dwight Gayle before Thursday’s transfer deadline.

The striker has been deemed surplus to requirements at St James’ Park, with Toon boss Rafael Benitez said to be concerned over his reoccurring hamstring problems, according to the Daily Star.

There were some reports suggesting that Newcastle wanted as much as £18m for the 26-year-old but is it believed that they would be willing to recoup the £10m they paid Crystal Palace for the forward two years ago.

Benitez is also said to have been told by the club’s owner Mike Ashley that he will have to sell before he can buy, but with just two days remaining to strengthen his squad it would appear that the Magpies are looking to move Gayle on as quickly as possible.

As for potential suitors, Championship side Leeds are said to be at the front of the queue for the forward after they sold top marksman Chris Wood to Burnley last week.